What is the Virtual Computing Lab (VCL)?
The Citrix Virtual Lab (VCL) lets you access a Mason-owned computer with a specific software through any computer with an internet connection. Thus, you can use software without needing to purchase, install, or configure it. You are not connecting to a specific computer, just a temporary virtual copy of a computer, called an image. See more info in the ITS Service Catalog
In this page:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to the ITS Support Center in Innovation Hall during it’s hours of operation
Note: DiSC has NO control, special abilities, or special knowledge of the VCL.
Getting Access to the VCL:
Access the Mason Network
- On Campus: You are all set.
- Off Campus: 1) Install Mason’s VPN client and 2) connect to the VPN
Log in to the Virtual Lab
If you will be using the VCL many times, you may wish to install the workspace app (Windows, Mac).
- Go to the Citrix Virtual Lab: mymasonapps.gmu.edu
- If it doesn’t appear, check that you are connected to the VPN!
- Login with your Mason ID and PatriotPass password
Connect to the Receiver
- Press the Blue “Detect Receiver” button
- If you do not have the Citrix Receiver Launcher, it will prompt you to install it
Open the Remote Computer
- Click on the Desktop you want and click “Open”. For Stata, choose the one labeled with that.
- A Windows Desktop Computer will appear in a new window
Using the Remote Desktop:
The special folders in the left pane, like Documents and Desktop, are on the Remote computer and will be deleted when your reservations ends. Choose one of the following to save files permanently.
Here are your options for saving and accessing files:
- FAQ: How to save files from the Citrix Virtual Lab
- M: (MESA) drive
- Under “Network Locations” look for your username
- Save things in your “mydata” folder if unsure
- FAQ: How to access the MESA Share Drive
- Your local drives (including any USB drives)
- Open This PC and look at the drives
- Look for “Local Disk (C on mycomputer)“
- Most people’s files are in the “User” folder in a subfolder with their name.
- 2-pg Handout: Finding Files on the VCL (pdf)
When you are done with your session, Log Out of the Remote Computer and it will close.